Home                                                                                                                                                                              Vision/Mission |  Members

Background

As part of the healing ministry of the Catholic Church successive generations of the Sisters of Mercy have managed and staffed Mercy University Hospital Cork CLG since 1857 and provided healthcare to the sick and poor of Cork and the surrounding areas.

In 2002 the legal structure of the hospital was changed with the formation of a company limited by guarantee (CLG) with seven Sisters as the members of the company and the appointment of a Board of Governors to oversee the management of the hospital.

In 2016, following widespread consultation, the Sisters decided  that their wish to sustain the Mercy values in as relevant a way as possible into the future, and to facilitate good governance and responsible succession planning, would require further change in governance structures. The Sisters would continue to be involved but the new structure would have a majority of lay members.

Accordingly, Mercy Care South was formed in September 2016. The new governance structure comprises of

Mercy Care South CLG has its own constitution.

The main object of the company is “the relief, cure, prevention of sickness and disability in the community in general and the promotion of wellbeing and care of the individual through the provision of or participation in the establishment or provision of Healthcare Services and Healthcare Facilities in accordance with the Mercy Care South Governance Charter.”

 Mercy Care South CLG also has the following subsidiary objectives:

  • to ensure that the ethos and charism of the Congregation in all or any of the Health Care facilities operated, owned and/or contracted by a Mercy Company is preserved;  
  • to interpret, provide direction, and advise Mercy Companies from time to time on the Governance Charter.

Mercy Care South Public Juridic Person

Since the establishment of the original Mercy Hospital in 1857 the Sisters of Mercy have operated under the aegis of the Catholic Church and canon law. In addition to its obligations under its Governance Charter, and its Constitution, Mercy Care South is also bound by its Canonical Statutes and By-Laws to:

embody the healing ministry of Jesus Christ in the Roman Catholic Church including through, inter alia, the management, governance and/or sponsorship of health care services and facilities, and the offering of programs and services consistent with: (i) the teachings and laws of the Roman Catholic Church; and (ii) the ethos and charism of the Congregation

Subsidiary Companies :